Hi Frieda

> Solvent-accessible surfaces of macromolecules are what I am accustomed
> to using vis Chime, hence what I am seeking to create. However I have
> to admit that I am not aware of what the distinction is between
> "isosurface" and solvent-accessible surface...

Isosurface became the name of the command in Jmol to generate surfaces,
probably because the first surfaces were molecular orbitals. Orbitals do
not have a particular size; the values of the function get smaller and
smaller  with distance from the molecule, and surfaces are created by
connecting points with the same value. Hence isosurface. Same for
electron density, for which an isosurface can be drawn that coincides
more or less with the van der Waals surface. Or much smaller, or larger,
depends on what feature you would like to show.
To solvent accessible surfaces this doesn't apply. There is only one,
given the radius of the solvent.
However, all these surfaces, spheres and so on are currently created
with the command isosurface.

Hens
(At this time Bob is really crossing the ocean, but I wouldn't be
surprised if he is reading his e-mail and working on Jmol. Or is it
still out of the question to take a pencil, let alone your laptop with you?)