Dear Rick, Eric,

What the simpler solution is I don't know, but I can tell what I do
(since a long time, before jmol.js emerged, so it could be a bit
outdated...):
Write your comments in javascript in a data array data[1], data[2] where
the index corresponds to the frame number it is related to, and use
function JSAnimcontrol (appname,frameno) {
 document.some.textarea.value = data(frameno);
}
In the applet include AnimFrameCallback='JSAnimcontrol'
For an example look at the source of
http://cheminf.cmbi.ru.nl/wetche/organic/cyclohexane/jm/mecyc.html
which looks cumbersome, but it is entirely generated by script from a
computational output file.

Hens