It's a misprint/bug. You do have to specify the type of write you want:

write coord "filename.xyz"

or, if the filename is not explicit:

write XYZ "filename"

I see now that there is a typo in the documentation or a bug in Jmol in
that "coord" not "coords" is necessary. I think I will consider this a
bug and add "coords" to Jmol's vocabulary.

Stephen Hillier wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to use the command
>
>write coords "filename"  with the Jmol application to save an *.xyz
>file ,  I have also tried
>
>write "filename.xyz"
>
>I am trying to create and save a file that I can then load into power
>point as per instructions at:
>
>http://dcwww.camp.dtu.dk/~strabo/jmolinfo.htm

say, that's a VERY nice page. Do we know the author?