Timothy Driscoll wrote:

>>But if you can figure out a scheme that would be reasonable in
>>terms of
>>setting up this function wihtin Jmol -- I would want it to be possible
>>to designate what applets are to be synced, not just "all applets
>>on the
>>page" -- then I can see if I can implement it. Maybe some interesting
>>issues there.
>>

>I can think about it, sure.  I don't really see a problem with
>synching all applets on a page; that would be much simpler anyway.

What I meant by that was that Chime didn't have the wide-ranging
capability that Jmol has. So it's not as simple as sending "the user now
moved the mouse HERE" to the other applets. You would need to address
issues such as:

Do moveto, zoomto, navigate, translate, etc. all get synched, or is it
just the mouse?
Is it the entire orientation that is being synched (zoom and all)?
Does spinning get synched? Does it get turned on automatically in other
applets?
How does one recognize which applet is the controller applet, and which
are followers?
What happens when a new file gets loaded in one of the applets?

It would be interesting to see a page with this working in Chime just to
see how/if those programmers addressed these issues.
The preliminary work I did mostly convinced me that it is no simple
matter to do this right.