Dear Jmol people,

As a jmol user, I am highly impressed of all the new features that
jmol has gotten in the last year, it's becoming an amazingly versatile
program.

BUT, I just noticed that I really lost track of all the features that
have been implemented and are still being implemented. There are a lot
of things that I know can be done with the program, but I just don't
know anymore where it is written.

I know there are the pages of Bob at stolaf,
( http://www.stolaf.edu/academics/chemapps/jmol/docs/ ) and then the
interactive scripting examples at
http://www.stolaf.edu/academics/chemapps/jmol/docs/examples-11/new0.htm
or "new.htm" or new1 or new2.
And then, for isosurfaces there is
http://www.stolaf.edu/academics/chemapps/jmol/docs/examples-11/isosurface.htm
and for surfaces there is http://jmol.sourceforge.net/docs/surface/

And then there is the wiki....
Jmol doesn't have the in-script help like rasmol has I guess, but at
the moment having that would probably just mean another heap of work
to keep it updated.

I really think that it would be a good thing for jmol to have a single
clear structure in the documentation. For a versatile program like
this, with the amount of features it currently has, it is very
important to give the users clear access to these features.

The list of functions in
http://www.stolaf.edu/academics/chemapps/jmol/docs/ is already very
good as a reference, but the lists with interactive examples have the
disadvantage that they mostly show the functions in the new version,
of which there are a lot :)
I guess it would be useful to have therefore interactive pages with
examples corresponding each of the entries in the reference.

Then, next to the reference, it will be useful to have a page of
interactive examples from the point of view of the user, that wants to
know how-to do this and this? Of course there the reference is not
enough, no new user can know which function-name to look at. The
surface page is an example of such a solution.

Sorry for the long blurb, but I think it would be an important point
to make sure that all the effort done by the developers doesn't get
lost. Are there already plans to make a more structured documentation
and tutorial? Is there a way to integrate this into the wiki-idea, so
it can be done with the help of user contributions?

--
greetings, Pim