Bob Hanson wrote:
> it's a general problem with browsers. But I assure you, we have not
> generally seen this problem with the Jmol applet. Plenty of people use
> large proteins with it. So either your protein is REALLY huge, or
> something else is odd about your installation. It could be, for
> instance, that you have some other page still present in the browser
> that is eating up huge portions of Java memory. One thing that will help
> a lot is if you limit the applet window size. Those pixels cost memory.
> Also, if you don't use translucency you save 50% on Java memory, because
> in that case Jmol won't use a second buffer.
okay. so the problem is that each applet running shares the very same vm
and therefore the very same memory with a maximum limit.
so the only thing i can do actually as developer is to give visitors a
hint about this "check that there are not too many browser windows open
with applets running inside or increase the memory by clicking there and
adding ... ". or something like that.
ugly one way or the other, but not a jmol problem...
thanks for the explanation bob,
raphael