Ah ha! -- Lots of good information and suggestions there - thank you very
much!
One of those was exactly the problem: it turns out that naming the script "
load.script" OR load_script was problematic.  Renaming to either
"load_script.txt" or "foo" works as expected!  As you suggest, I suspect
there is some confusion arising from naming the file so similarly to an
actual jmol command.  Somehow it seemed to be parsing through that file
looking for  coordinate files to "load" and that's all it did....but it
didn't throw an error about all the extraneous stuff!

BTW, I've not been enclosing script names in quotes because it breaks my
HTML (at least on Linux/Firefox).  The HTML command looks like:
script</a><br>

and putting quotes around the filename leads to the link being interpreted
as:
"javascript:document.jmol.script('script "

(it doesn't differentiate between double, single or back-tick quotes and
doesn't nest them)....

Many, many thanks for these insights!
-Tom