nevermind. The proposed algorithm is:

For each model...
 For each chain in the model...
   While not done...
     Given two sequence+insertion codes A and B...
     1)  look for (another) A.
     2)  if A is not found...
           2a) find the code numerically
                 closest to it and larger
           2b) if no such code exists, return DONE
           2c) set INEXACT
     3)  if B is missing ("select 1-")
           3a) select the last group of the chain
           3b) set INEXACT
         else
           3c) look for B at or after A in the file
           3d) if B is not found...
               4a) find the code numerically
                     closest to it and smaller
               4b) if no such code exists, return DONE
               4c) set INEXACT
     5) select all atoms physically between and including codes A and B
     6) if INEXACT, return DONE, else return NOT DONE

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900