Eric, I know you've been interested in this for some time. My pleasure
to finally implement a simple solution that I hope will suffice.

Dot density is based on a clever algorithm involving geodesics. There
are 5 levels. But to save memory, we use only 4 of those for dots. OK,
Try this. 11.6.RC3 has:

set dotDensity  [0 to 6]

The number you choose (3 being default) determines the density at the
various automatic cutoffs. This means that, for example, if you choose
"6", then the highest level will always be used -- there will be no
shifting; if you choose "5", then the maximum density will still be the
same, but that maximum density will appear at a lower zoom. I checked
this out with a small peptide, and I think it works pretty well. See
what you think.

You can see this in action at
http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/examples-11/new.htm

Jmol 11.5.RC3 is at http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/examples-11

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900