Bob,
Yes, Jmol has been working great for me before I upgraded to firefox3. I know
it's a browser problem because it still works great on safari and IE7. After
doing the browser check, I now know why and it has nothing to do with Jmol. It
is because firefox3 on mac's don't "support LiveConnect communications between
JavaScript and Java applets." This explains why jmol applet loads just fine on
my webpage, but the error occurs whenever buttons are clicked.
Thank you.

Here's the full explaination given by browsercheck for reference:
--
Netscape/Mozilla/FireFox on Macintosh do not have access to the
latest Java release and therefore do not support LiveConnect

        Operating System

          mac

          Web browser

          mozilla

          Browser version

          5

          navigator.userAgent

          Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1)
Gecko/2008070206 Firefox/3.0.1

          has getElementById()

          true

          navigator.javaEnabled()