Hi Eric,
I use this function I wrote (and Bob helped me with at the time):

function checkAnimation()
{
//this function checks whether a multimodel file is loaded
var checkAnim = jmolScriptWaitAsArray("getProperty modelInfo");
checkAnim = checkAnim[0];
checkAnim = String(checkAnim);
checkAnim = checkAnim.split("modelCount\t");
checkAnim = checkAnim[1];
checkAnim = checkAnim.split(" ","1");
checkAnim = checkAnim[0];
//checkAnim stores the number of models in the currently loaded file
 if (checkAnim > 1) {
//do something
}

}