hi!

split is just a command in bash, cutting any ascii file after a " -l
"amount of lines, and appending 000x after the name, where " -d "
creates a number suffix and " -a " says how many digits there should
be. It might not be necessary to use this for jmol anymore, because
the load trajectory per frame or stride appears very memory-efficient,
but it's anyway a handy trick for other analysis.

As in my previous mails, I am currently experimenting with the "load
trajectory" option and the conversion to a movie file within the same
viewing state.
For testing, I just created a trajectory of about 100 atoms, and
actually managed to read in 40000 (>9999!) frames, and after reading
in I could move around between frames, although jmol crashed when I
tried to click on atoms etc. :)

In any case, it is indeed perfectly possible to read in even the
biggest file in little bits:
  load trajectory {199000 200000 1} "/WORK/LAMMPS/meam/dump.xyz"
and create a loop around it that increments the first and last frame
of the strides with e.g. 1000 frames.

Now the printing part:
For frames that are counted as x.y, "load trajectory" seems to load
all the timesteps in 1.y, because it is just one file, did I get that
correctly?
Unfortunately for my case, it appears that the easiest image printing
solution via  "write frames" only prints images of incrementing files
x and ignores the incrementing frames .y , is that correct?

I did get a bit further with extracting state information to
variables, the only thing I need to do is replace a string, I guess by
calling a fitting javascript command from jmol...

greetings, pim