This sounds really interesting to me too...

I have been doing a lot of work recently on using the Jmol applet to
visualise results from calculations on HPC machines (e.g. HECToR:
www.hector.ac.uk). If we could go the other way too and use Jmol to
upload files to the server we would be able to submit calculations to
the HPC resources rather than having to use web portlets. It would be
great for lots of stuff in teaching and research.

You could eventually imagine Jmol being used to visualise the results
from a crystallography experiments and then just using a button to
fire off a DFT calculation to fill in the positions of the hydrogens
or compute a simulated electron density at a perturbed set of physical
conditions, etc.

There are a huge number of possibilities in this direction.

Cheers
Andy

Quoting Robert Hanson <hans...@stolaf.edu>:

> Keep talking...
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Rolf Huehne <rhue...@fli-leibniz.de> wrote:
>
>> On 02/22/2010 01:26 PM, Robert Hanson wrote:
>> > If so, it's probably something we should discuss. True, we can already
>> > "post" relatively small items using the GET method. Do we want to extend
>> > that to POST?
>> >
>> > Bob
>> >
>> The size limit with GET is about 8kb. So you can't do much with it.
>>
>> We currently use the data pipeline "Jmol->Browser->Server->Browser"
>> within Jena3D to enable snapshot pictures with the unsigned applet.
>>
>> The major problem here is the apparent size limit of the "Jmol->Browser"
>> part of the pipeline. Creating high-resolution high-quality pictures is
>> rather difficult this way. Because it is limited to JPEG (no PNG) and it
>> just stops working if the size limit is reached.
>>
>> One problem with direct "Jmol->Server" communication that I can see is
>> that the server response will also (most probably) go to Jmol and not to
>> the browser. But I think this could be solved by triggering a second
>> contact "Browser->Server" that picks up the result from the
>> "Jmol->Server" contact.
>>
>> This should also open up a reliable way to send state scripts to a
>> server. One problem of generating high-resolution high-quality pictures
>> with the applet is the limited memory available for the JavaVM as a
>> default. This could be solved by generating the image on the server by
>> using a state script. Currently the apparently system-dependent size
>> limit interferes with this solution.
>> And I can imagine plenty of other uses like sending measurement data to
>> the server and getting back a plot. A whole new spectrum of possibilities.

>> it.

>> Regards,
>> Rolf

> Robert M. Hanson
> Professor of Chemistry
> St. Olaf College
> 1520 St. Olaf Ave.
> Northfield, MN 55057
> http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr
> phone: 507-786-3107
>

> If nature does not answer first what we want,
> it is better to take what answer we get.
>
> -- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900

      Dr Andrew R. Turner
   e: andrew.tur...@ed.ac.uk
   t: +44 (0)131 651 3578
   p: Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre
      University of Edinburgh
      EH9 3JZ

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.