I've tried several variations now and can report the following:

t-butyl gives a flat structure.  Using depict model creates a structure in JME
with a boron.  Loading that structure creates a flat boron structure.
2-propyl cation does not result in a flat model.  Depicting that model in JME
makes the boron structure.  Loading that structures results in still not flat.
ethyl behaves same as 2-propyl.
methyl is very interesting.  It is not flat.  Depicting the model in JME
doesn't give a structure containing boron.  Loading in back into Jmol it still
isn't flat.

Just to further explore I made a cylopentyl cation in JME and loaded it into
Jmol.  Behaved like 2-propyl.  When I made 1-methyl-1-cyclopentyl cation and
tried to load it into Jmol it displayed nothing.  Depicting that back into JME
showed methylcyclopentane with no charge.  This was weird so I reloaded the
page and started over.  Now the methylcyclopentyl cation loaded into JMol fine
but flat.  Depicted in JME fine (with boron).  Loaded back to Jmol now flat.  A
few more experiments and I determined that if I just cleared the JME and built
a new molecule it was a problem.  Either it didn't display or the molecule
wasn't ever flat.  If I reload the web page and build the molecule then loaded
into JMol etc.  It seemed to behave better.  2-propyl cation still wasn't flat,
but now after depicting back to JME where it changes to boron then reloading
into Jmol, it now becomes flat.  No matter what, though ethyl and methyl always
behaved as described above.  I also tried benzyl (after reloading the page) and
the cation was definitely not flat and the hydrogens were rotated almost
perpendicular to the plane of the ring.  After depicting into JME (changed to
boron) then reloading into JMol, it flattened out nicely.

Jeff Hansen
DePauw University
602 S. College Ave.
Greencastle, IN 46135