Jonathan,

There are three issues that I've encountered doing this.

1) There is the standard applet loaded issue.
2) With Jmol the is also the post applet load issue of model loaded.
3) MSIE (see below)

By catching step 2 above in Jmol, you are really covering issue 1 and 2.
You do this by calling a JavaScript function ( e.g. JmolLoaded() ) at
the end of the Jmol Load script using the Jmol JavaScript command.
JavaScript does not get this call until 1 and 2 are both complete. It
works very nicely.

HOWEVER,  MSIE

MSIE seems to completely ignore the Jmol Javascript command. The only
way I've found around this is to use browser sniffing and write a clumsy
Timeout routine to call the JmolLoaded() function in MSIE

Otis

On 6/14/2010 9:36 AM, Jonathan Gutow wrote:
> A question for you javascript mavens.
>
> I'm trying to help the SageMath people with their Jmol interface.  I need to
> get some information about directories through the messageCallBack mechanism
> and am running into issues with the order applets are loaded.  When a page
> with many applets is loading the load order is unpredictable and I am finding
> that the message callback information seems to get garbled as to which applet
> the message comes from (maybe the messages are overlapping).  I have no way
> of knowing ahead of time how many applets are on a page as they are created
> on the fly by the server.
>
> Anyway.  I think my problem would be solved if I could simply run a function
> that queries each applet in sequence _after_ they have all loaded, rather
> than having each applet send a message callback as it finishes loading.  So
> I'm looking for a way to know that the page is ready for me to do this.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan
>                           Dr. Jonathan H. Gutow
> Chemistry Department                                gu...@uwosh.edu
> UW-Oshkosh                                          Office: 920-424-1326
> 800 Algoma Boulevard                                FAX:920-424-2042
> Oshkosh, WI 54901
>                  http://www.uwosh.edu/facstaff/gutow

Otis Rothenberger
chemagic.com