Interesting. Yes, it's doing:

  select (*) and ( not 56 ) and :B

instead of

  select (*) and not (56 and :B)

Which is correct for standard math --

  a and !b and c = a and (!b) and c

But, sure enough, that's different in this case. Components of a chain have
a higher-priority "and" that should be done first.

It's fixed. This shows up specifically with

.....  ! [mutli-part residue specification] ....

Bob

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Paul Pillot <
paul.pil...@ac-orleans-tours.fr> wrote:

> I've just encountered a bug with a script that selects or deselects
> previously selected residue.
>
> Example : on  http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/examples-11/new.htmload a
> multiple chain pdb file (as 1d66)
> - set selectionhalos on (to make things clearer)
> - select selected and not 56:B
> chains A, D and E are deselected as well as amino acid 56:B
>
> This command works fine with one chain only files
>
> -Paul

1520 St. Olaf Ave.
Northfield, MN 55057
http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr
phone: 507-786-3107

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900