At 11:24 +0100 22/10/10, Egon Willighagen wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Rzepa, Henry <h.rz...@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/21/apple_threatens_to_kill_java_on_the_mac/
>>
>> ""As of the release of Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3, the version of Java
>> that is ported by Apple, and that ships with Mac OS X, is deprecated,"
>
>I think it's not that bad... there is OpenJDK (by Oracle), and seems
>to be available for OS/X:
>
>http://lists.apple.com/archives/Java-dev/2010/Oct/msg00248.html

That expresses future aspirations, rather than testable reality.  There is
nothing for  OS X  at
http://openjdk.java.net/

The argument is that implementing  Java for  OS X would almost certainly
require Apple to release source code for the graphical implementations. If that
does not happen, then the actual experience on the  Mac may become  a poor one.

Jobs appears to want to take  OS X towards  iOS, which is away from using a
mouse and towards using gestures. I think that adapting  Java for that sort of
environment is going to require major work.
--

Professor Henry S Rzepa.
+44 (020) 7594 5774 (Voice); http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/ & /rzepa/blog

(Voracious anti-spam filter in operation for received email.
If expected reply not received, please phone/fax).