Bob,

We would like to include some basic coordination complex problems in our
model kit. To this end, I am using classic example templates for linear,
trigonal planar, tetrahedral, square planar, trigonal bipyramidal, and
octahedral. In all classes, the templates use halogens which can be
edited to other ligands in the model kit editor.

The replacement of halogen with N is a problem reminiscent of the imine
problem that you fixed almost a year ago. In the current problem two
halogens in all templates except tetrahedral and trigonal planar always
replace X with N with the calculated hydrogen atoms placed backward
along the bond axis.

Currently, I have an optimize link for Jmol UFF and for the Resolver in
our editor. The Resolver optimize simply sends the Jmol SMILES to
Resolver and loads the returned molfile. In all cases I've tried,
Resolver returns the correct geometry for this current problem. So I
have a temporary solution to the problem if this is a Jmol issue that
you would rather put on a back burner for now.

Otis

--
Otis Rothenberger
chemagic.com