Bob,

Well, the third dimension enters into this. This is one of those events that hits randomly, and you have to work to set it up to analyze it.

If you take 2-butanone and line it up so the carbonyl is vertical, the event becomes likely. When the event hits under these conditions, tilting the model forward or backward slightly so that the carbonyl stays in the YZ plane does not fix the problem. If you break out of the YZ plane, the bond will form.

Tom ran into this problem while he was building Re and Si face model exercises. At first, I though it was related to the 5 bond carbon that he was disposing with a single bond click to the carbonyl, but in trying to recreate the problem, I realized I could create it with a 4 bond carbon.

Otis

Otis Rothenberger
chemagic.com