Bob,

One last thought on this chain.

As you can see, I've developed a bit of interest in connecting Jmol to
outside data other than sdf data using Resolver to translate as needed.
I've focused on three databases for a variety of reasons:

1) NIST WebBook IR/MS data - Uses InChI query - Limited db, but good for
advanced model kit problems.

2) PubChem - Uses InChI query - Huge db, and excellent for model kit
"see what you created" exercises.

3) CAS Common Chemisty Service - Uses CAS# query - Limited db, but with
a focus on public outreach (a magic word for me).

All of the above are easy to link to the model in the Jmol window using
the methods in this chain. The latter is particularly nice for high
school level. Under an ongoing cooperative effort with Wikipedia, the
CAS# search return gives a direct link to the Wikipedia article that
matches the CAS# if an article exists. One problem with CAS# query is
the proliferation of CAS#'s. Resolver returns them all. Only one is
reliable, and its location in the Resolver return appears random. A
filter of the returned data for the shortest CAS# seems to work. It's
also a good idea to strip SMILES stereochemistry (@) before the Resolver
SMILES to CAS# translation.

I'd like an item (4) above - nmr data. I can't find a source suited to
our methodology, however.  SDBS Compounds and Spectral Search would be
nice, but there is no query access. I'll write to them, but I don't have
high hopes. They use a disclaimer screen that seems to be important to
their data release approach. Perhaps they would be agreeable to Jmol
users arriving at the disclaimer with a CAS# good to go.

As usual, an operational example is at

http://chemagic.com/web_molecules/script_page_large.aspx

Use Tools menu.

Otis