I note on this site the intention to fully match the functionality of  Jmol
using WebGL technologies

http://www.ichemlabs.com/1201

and you can try http://www.molecularmodelingbasics.blogspot.com/   using a
WebGL supported browser (I use WebKit version of Safari).  No  doubt Apple will
implement this for eg the iPad shortly.

What remains to be established is performance.   Since WebGL addresses the
hardware layer,  I presume there is no reason not to be optimistic?

You can test your browser for  WebGL support (and lots more interesting stuff)
at http://modernizr.github.com/Modernizr/output.html  Another interesting site
is http://www.chromeexperiments.com/webgl/ where some of the demos are indeed
very impressive.

So, Jmol community, is the writing on the wall for the Java-only  Jmol itself?

--

+44 (020) 7594 5774 (Voice); Blog: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/blog/
 Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College London, SW7  2AZ, UK.

(Voracious anti-spam filter in operation for received email.
If expected reply not received, please phone/fax).