I am just beginning to learn and explore display of crystal structures
in Jmol.

For now, I  am just looking at elements and their basic crystal lattices.

I have started with excellent Jmol Crystal Symmetry Explorer
(http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/examples-11/jcse/explore.htm)
[Thank you Bob!]

I looked at cif file of gold:

data_global
_chemical_name 'Diamond'
_chemical_formula_sum 'Au'
_cell_length_a 4.0786
_cell_length_b 4.0786
_cell_length_c 4.0786
_cell_angle_alpha 90
_cell_angle_beta 90
_cell_angle_gamma 90
_cell_volume 67.85
_symmetry_space_group_name_H-M 'f m -3 m'
loop_
_atom_site_label
_atom_site_fract_x
_atom_site_fract_y
_atom_site_fract_z
Au   0.00000   0.00000   0.00000

My questions:

Where is the connectivity information in that file? The Jmol shows the
nice tetrahedron "subunits" {1,1,1} with "bonds" between atoms. Is that
based on proximity of these atoms?

[please excuse my imprecise terminology, but I just started learning the
subject]

Could I manually generate a cif file for, let's say, manganese by doing
the following:

data_global
_chemical_name 'Manganese'
_chemical_formula_sum 'Mn'
_cell_length_a 8.9125
_cell_length_b 8.9125
_cell_length_c 8.9125
_cell_angle_alpha 90
_cell_angle_beta 90
_cell_angle_gamma 90
_cell_volume 707.94
_symmetry_space_group_name_H-M 'I -4 3 m'
loop_
_atom_site_label
_atom_site_fract_x
_atom_site_fract_y
_atom_site_fract_z
Au   0.00000   0.00000   0.00000

In other words, can I generate correct displays for any element if I
just know the cell parameters (a, b, c, alpha, beta, gamma) and the
space group?

Thank you for your help

PM