On 21 Jan 2012, at 12:59, Robert Hanson wrote:

> Looks totally doable. What we need to follow up on this are:
>
> a) A reader/viewer we can use for testing.
> b) A bunch of examples. (OK, I have those from
> http://www.collada.org/owl/browse.php?sess=0&parent=28&expand=1&order=name&curview=0&sortname=ASC)
>
> No promises as to when I could get to this. Maybe February. Looks pretty
> straightforward.

Bob,

Another approach is to use something like  Meshlab (
http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ )  which claims support conversion to and from
a wide variety of  3D  formats and which might be the viewer you need for
testing?

When  I use Jmol (12.3.12) to write out either  .wrl or .x3d, Meshlab flags a
fatal error "File without a geometry".  This could be an error in  Meshlab, or
perhaps a missing element in what  Jmol writes out?  Can anyone cast light on
this or repeat my observation?

for what its worth,  Meshlab directly imports PDB files, and (ostensibly)
writes out a corresponding  Collada file. But eg iBooks author refused to load
such a file, claiming "the scene could not be loaded" (I suspect  iBooks author
is at fault here).

I suspect each of these standards (.wrl, .x3d and .dae) is imprecisely defined,
and even small inconsistencies can foil programs.

PS. I can export a  JVXL scene using  Jmol to  .wrl, but it appears entirely
without colour in  Meshlab. Another inconsistency?  Needless to say, this scene
too, when exported as Collada fails to import into  iBooks author.