I'm not sure this is relevant because I've always been a bit confused on this
subject. But I put a lot of sweat equity into putting an Angstrom symbol into
an echo a while back. I'll paste the JavaScript function for this below:

function doVdw() {
    var vdw = "echo Calculating...;delay 1;select *;isosurface select {*}
resolution 6 MOLECULAR area;isosurface translucent;delay 2;var x = \"vdw
surface area = \" + isosurfaceArea[0] % 0 + \" \u212B<sup>2</sup>\";echo @x";
    doClean();
    jmolScript(vdw);
}

The relevant snippet is at the end of the var vwd = declaration. I arrived at
this by more trial and error than I care to remember.

Otis

--
Otis Rothenberger
o...@chemagic.com