openSoft's IMolView for ipad - pretty fast and responsive

http://www.molsoft.com/iMolview.html

________________________________
 From: Philip Bays <pb...@saintmarys.edu>
To: jmol-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Jmol-users] "Jmol" for iPads?

At the ACS meeting last fall, someone was showing a version of Spartan on the
iPad.  It was merely the builder and viewer.  The idea, as I remember it, was
to be able to submit computations to a server and retrieve and display the
results.  I do not know whether that is being pursued, and if so what the
status is.  I realize that Spartan is not a Java program; it is simply to say
that someone is thinking about a non-java implementation of some level of
molecular modeling on the iPad.  Of course, for the age level of the classroom
described in the article, advanced Spartan QM calculations would not be
inappropriate.

On Mar 23, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Eric Martz wrote:

> I just heard a segment on NPR about hundreds of high schools that are
> abandoning textbooks and giving every student an iPad instead. As we
> all know, iPads will not run java and so will not run Jmol. What are
> people's thoughts on porting Jmol to a non-java language that would
> run on a wider range of hardware/OS? And maybe have faster graphics
> with open GL?
>
> -Eric

J. Philip Bays
Emeritus Professor of Chemistry