Back in March I commented on how the "draw pointgroup" command didn't do what I expected. Further playing around shows that the scale value can only be set once. Here are steps to reproduce the problem.

Load a file with the desired symmetry, such as ethane. (Or, just go to http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php/Jmol_in_Pop-up, and see the behavior there.) Open the console, and enter "draw pointgroup c3 1 scale 1.5". One of the C3 axis is displayed, with its axis a bit long, since it is scaled. Enter "draw pointgroup c3 1 scale 0.8". Although the scale value is smaller, nothing changes. Expected behavior: the axis would become shorter.
Close and restart Jmol (I'm using 12.3.26).
Load the same file.
Enter "draw pointgroup c3 1 scale 0.8". Notice that the axis is much shorter, since the scale value is smaller. Enter "draw pointgroup c3 1 scale 1.5". Although the scale value is larger, nothing changes. Expected behavior: the axis would become longer.

It appears that Jmol checks to see if the scale value has been set. If it has, it doesn't allow the value to be changed, so the only way to change it is to restart the program. Also, if the first command is, e.g., "draw pointgroup c3 1", then scale is probably given an initial value, because a second command of "draw pointgroup c3 1 scale 1.5" does nothing.