Hi,

unfortunately Jmol under Linux has become some sort of an issue since
Oracle changed their license and now won't allow the Linux distributions to
include Oracle-Java binaries anymore and as Angel correctly pointed out,
the IcedTea Java plugin is not compatible with Jmol.

But for all you (fellow) Ubuntu users there is a good way to easily install
Oracle's Java and keep it up to date:
The WebUpd8-Team provides a downloader/installer script that downloads the
Java 7 Binaries from Oracle's servers and installs it on the machine. This
all they maintain in a Personal Package Archive (PPA).

For those who are already familiar with PPA's: *ppa:webupd8team/java*
All others read:
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-oracle-java-jdk-7-in-ubuntu-via.html

Best,
Oliver