Bob,

On our end, this all started with a request from one of Tom's colleagues. He's using the VMK in a service outreach lecture series to discuss, among other things, how chemists know what molecules "look like." We thought it would be neat to be able to discuss this with a series of edited molecules in the VMK window - ethane, ethene, ethyne, ethanol, ethanal, etc. The ability to instantaneously display the IR's of these molecules would allow a discussion of peak meaning.

Since the technical details of the IR methodology were not a real issue in the non-major discussion, we wanted the presentational power of "wham, here's the IR spectrum" for each model used in the lecture. This is the reason that I wanted to load the SVG directly:

http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?Spec=C56406&Index=1&Type=IR&Large=on&SVG=on

I plan to display them on our image panel right next to the corresponding model.

I knew that the indexes were a zero based system. After some extensive playing, however, I noticed that there was no pattern. Evidently, the zero and other indexes can disappear. I guess a deleted spectrum does not lose it's index number. It's just eliminated from display. Still, I'm convinced I can make some sense out of the indexes for our purposes.

A while back, we moved our db search operations for the virtual model kit to our AKA application, and what you suggest is a good idea for the NIST IR on the AKA page. For presentational "neat," however, I'm going to take a closer look at getting the direct display of the NIST SVG files under control - just like NMRDB.ORG display.

Otis