Dear Bob,

Currently, it appears to me (undocumented?) that "color group" works
differently when symmetry-related copies of the asymmetric unit are
generated with e.g.

   load "" {555 555 1} range -7.0

When only the asymmetric unit is loaded, chain A (which happens to
consist of 3 monomers in my instance) is colored in a single
blue-to-red rainbow sequence. Perfect.

After the symmetry copies are generated, it appears that the "select
protein; color group" color scheme runs from blue for the first copy
of chain A through red for the last copy. So asymmetric unit chain A
that spanned blue-to-red before symmetry operations, is now entirely
blue, and symmetry copies of it are colors towards red.

I am not sure if this is a feature or a bug. After all if you want to
distinguish different symmetry copies of a chain, there is "color polymer".

Anyway, I want to color each copy (or fragmentary copy) of the chain
blue-to-red exactly as the original asymmetric unit was colored with
"color group". There would be no color distinction between copies.
Instead, (let's say the full chain is sequence numbers 1-100),
residue 1 would always be blue in all copies or fragmentary copies;
residue 100 would always be red in all copies or fragmentary copies.

Is there some way to do this?

Thanks, -Eric