http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1637588.html

describes the new release, replacing  Apple's own Java.  My  Safari and
Firefox browsers picked up the new release immediately (Chrome failed).   But
if anyone is playing with  this new release, if  you find how to turn the Java
console on,  I would be very grateful.  With Apple, it used to be done with
Java Preferences.app, but this hardly surprisingly does not work with Oracle's
version.

I use the  Java console for debugging and other useful activities.