On 08/30/2012 03:56 PM, Sridhar Neelamraju wrote:
> Dear jmol-users,
> I am working with a set of .xyz files. Was wondering if there is a way to
> select atoms based on the x,y and z-coordinates only. Something like
>
> select zcoordinate > 0.0 ;
> select zcoordinate < 5.0
>
> This way, I could select a set of slabs or cut a sphere within the system.

Yes, you can do it like this:
select atomZ > 0.0 and atomZ < 5.0

Look at the Jmool scripting documentation
(http://www.imb-jena.de/ImgLibPDB/Jena3D/doc/jmol_scripting/index.htm#atomexpressions)

for advanced selection options.

Regards,
Rolf

--

Rolf Huehne
Postdoc

Leibniz Institute for Age Research - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI)
Beutenbergstrasse 11
07745 Jena, Germany

Phone:   +49 3641 65 6205
Fax:     +49 3641 65 6210
E-Mail:  rhue...@fli-leibniz.de
Website: http://www.fli-leibniz.de

           Scientific Director: Prof. Dr. K. Lenhard Rudolph
        Head of Administration: Dr. Daniele Barthel
Chairman of Board of Trustees: Dennys Klein

VAT No: DE 153 925 464
Register of Associations: No. 296, Amtsgericht Jena
Tax Number: 162/141/08228