Phil,

After the first update via auto update, Java is broken in Safari but not
Firefox. Also the Java control in Utilities is gone.

After suggested re-update via downloaded DMG file, same result. BUT I noticed
that the Java control is now in Settings under Other. This may have been the
case with the first update attempt, but I think I checked Settings, and I don't
remember seeing it. The settings in the Java control seem ok.

Rebooted machine. Java now works in Safari.

Editorial Comment: Cripes!

Best, Otis

--
Otis Rothenberger