Phil,

Yes, I am using Safari 6.0.2 with the latest version of Java.

I think the mysterious instance of Firefox was created (left over???) when
Firefox crashed (hung), but I'm not sure. The only relationship to Jmol is that
Firefox often hangs when I'm experimenting with Jmol. I would not have noticed
the presence of this instance if it were not for the temperature problem. The
left side of my Mac Pro (keyboard side and computer bottom) would get really
hot - uncomfortable to touch! I explored the Activity Monitor, and this
instance of Firefox would show 100% CPU. If running, a normal instance of
Firefox would also show, albeit at a much lower CPU usage. The 100% CPU firefox
would not appear in the Finder, and it would not appear in the Force Quit
dialog. The only way out was to reboot with subsequent reduction in the
temperature.

I stopped using Firefox, and I have note seen the temperature problem since.
When I need to run Firefox, I keep touching my computer to make sure the
temperature is OK!

Otis

--
Otis Rothenberger