Thanks for getting back to me Bob,

I am using a mac, but I didn't edit those files.   In fact, I re-downloaded
everything and the problem is the same.  I even used wget from a linux box
to grab the files from your machine and they are identical.  if you go to
http://myweb.brooklyn.liu.edu/jgough/jsmol/JSmolCore.js  and view page
source, there isn't any gaps.  I used vi, and couldn't see any gaps either.

if for some reason they are there, how would I go about getting rid of
them?  any other ideas?

thanks,
Jonathan