If I might interject - code signing and the lot should be viewed as a short
term (and poor) solution to this problem.

First, I'd like to thank Bob and all of you for moving in the javascript
direction, away from Java. Absent in this discussion is a thread ongoing about
the security threats posed by signed applets (one the institutional IT lawyers
will likely not ignore). See for example
    <http://threatpost.com/javas-losing-security-legacy>
I see the Java problem only getting worse, not better, with time.

Admitting that I have not contributed directly to Jmol development (but
recognizing that I am a huge beneficiary), may I throw out a challenge for all
of you very creative folk? The challenge is to fully harness GPUs in the JS
version of Jmol - WebGL, or something of the sort. Beyond solving short term
problems, I'm guessing it would allow us to leap frog over where we are now and
start to do even more wondrous things with Jmol

I think I understand that maintaining cross-platform compatibility might be a
challenge, but surely no more than the challenge that you all overcame in
moving to JS in the first place (not that long ago, I was told it would/could
not be done). Perhaps code could detect incompatible systems and revert to the
current JS-only code. But if Jmol exploited the GPU on most major platforms,
think of the opportunities!

Java is history. We need to run away fast. GPU's are where computer makers are
focusing their efforts. Might I prompt a discussion of a solid GPU-embraced
future for Jmol?

My deepest appreciation to all of you who have contributed so much for the rest
of us,

Craig

Craig Martin
cmar...@chem.umass.edu