Greetings,

I'm trying to explore rotational steric hindrance with partial success.  From
the console, this series of commands:

minimize constraint {C5} {C3} {C1} {H6} 60       // or whatever angle is
indicated

minimize

minimize energy

work as advertised.  I can:

rotate branch {C3} {C1} 60 60

and repeat the minimization at a new torsion angle.  Of course, I want to use
the power of Jmol script to automate the investigation.  When I run these lines:

zap; load SYNC "file:///C:/Compchem/s-pentane/spentane.xyz"

rotdeg = 120

var steps=360/rotdeg

measure delete

measure {C5}{C3}{C1}{H6}

for (var i=0;i<steps;i++) {

rotate branch {C3} {C1} @rotdeg 60

conang = getproperty("measurementinfo[1].value")

print conang

script inline ("minimize constraint {C5} {C3} {C1} {H6} @conang")

minimize Steps 500

minimize

show minimization

minimize energy }

either as:

 script "C:\Compchem\s-pentane\rotation.spt"

or by pasting into the console, I get rotations, but no minimization.  It
prints the angle, reports the Initial MMFF and the "show minimization" report
has a section for contraints, although none are specified:

C O N S T R A I N T S
---------------------
---------------------

Not a wiggle do I get from the molecule as it breezes around the circle.  Any
ideas out there?

Thanks,

George Whitwell

NCWC - Chemistry

For the sake of completeness, "spentane.xyz" is pasted here:

17

C 0.00679 0.03015 0.00260

C 0.92788 0.92359 0.83193

C -0.84948 -0.88283 0.88567