Dear Bob,
thanks very much for your help.

Having seen that the misplacement of the J2S folder breaks the jmol-to-jsmol
conversion, and having decided that one copy of J2S in each subfolder of my
site is definitely too much…. :-))  I was just trying to re-write the whole
thing with JSmol, so the former jmobutton’s are now jmol.jmolbutton’s, etc.
Would that work across frames in the way you suggested? I tried to make it work
but to no avail…. may be it’s me… :-((

Ciao

Adriano