> yes, the Jmol scripting language was derived directly from RAS. it has, of
> course, evolved considerably since then. :-D
>
> conceptually, the Rasmol software definitely inspired Jmol. actually, from my
> perspective it was the closed-source nature of Chime that really got the Jmol
> ball rolling. strictly speaking,

To the best of my recollection, Rasmol itself was open. MDL acquired this open
source code and “wrapped it” into a closed-code Chime (I think they added
data-base querying code which was proprietary to them).  A third party involved
was  Glaxo, for whom Roger worked at the time. Only the  MDL and Glaxo lawyers
know exactly what the arrangement between them was.

The connection  between  MDL/Chime and  Netscape  (who had written the browser
plug-in architecture that  Chime made use of) was partly geographical (< 30 km)
and partly an article  I had written (so its developers told me).

> however, I don't recall any actual Rasmol code being migrated, since Rasmol
> was written in C and Jmol in Java.

I  meant that presumably many of the algorithms, including the rendering code,
were re-written into Java.