Yes, that's probably the most straightforward way. No { } or spaces
necessary around @n:

compare {1.1} {2.1} SUBSET {*} ATOMS @1@2 @2@3  @3@4  @4@1 rotate translate
2

"@2" represents "atomno=2" in both models, but the {1.1} and {2.1} do the
appropriate filtering so that  it will be 1.1&@1   2.1 & @2   1.1 & @2
2.1&@3 etc.

I don't think you need the SUBSET {*} part. The  idea for that is that you
might have proteins and just want to correlate the CA atoms   --- SUBSET
{*.CA}, for example.

compare {1.1} {2.1} ATOMS @1@2 @2@3  @3@4  @4@1 rotate translate 2

The alternative is to just use the description of the first set and an
array for the second:

compare {1.1} {2.1} ATOMS {atomno < 5} [@2 @3  @4 @1] rotate translate 2

Another possibility would be to use a SMARTS string, if the  structures are
similar. An example of that is the "Flexible Fit" example at
http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/jsmol/jsmol.htm. That example uses this
compare statement:

sm = "c1ccccc1CCN"
compare {1.1} {2.1} SMARTS @sm rotate translate

The SMARTS matching orders the atoms in appropriate pairs.

Also, if it makes life easier the COMPARE command ignores commas:

compare {1.1} {2.1} ATOMS @1@2, @2@3,  @3@4,  @4@1 rotate translate 2

One of those should work!

Bob

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Angel Herráez <angel.herr...@uah.es> wrote:

> Hello Jiayi
>
> I have used this before, but do not remember the details.
> To me, paired list meand one atom from each model. The xample in the
> documentation also looks like that.
> Also, the simple numbers are not good for atom numbers; they mean
> residue numbers in proteins or nucleic acids (see "atom expressions"
> in the doc).
>
> I suggest trying
>
> compare {1.1} {2.1} SUBSET {*} ATOMS {atomno=1} {atomno=2} {atomno=2}
> {atomno=3} {atomno=3} {atomno=4} {atomno=4} {atomno=1} rotate
> translate 2
>
> You may possibly use the shorthand notation for atom numbers:
>
> compare {1.1} {2.1} SUBSET {*} ATOMS {@1} {@2} {@2} {@3} {@3} {@4}
> {@4} {@1} rotate translate 2

Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900