Bob,

I'm trying to circumvent the lack of a modifier key (ALT) on an iPad when
switching between drag translation and rotation of individual multiple models.

On an iPad and laptop, these two scripts do exactly what I want:

1) CLICK/DRAG TRANSLATES:

set picking off; set picking ON; set atomPicking true; set picking dragmolecule;

2) CLICK/DRAG ROTATES:

set picking off; set picking ON; set atomPicking true;set picking
dragmolecule;set allowRotateSelected TRUE;bind "drag" "_rotateselected";

Number 1 does not worry me.

In the case of number 2, I'm concerned that the script is not working according
to your intentions - i.e. it might change in the future. Specifically, every
component in script 2 is required to make this work on an iPad. I should
mention that it's possible that "set picking off; set picking ON;" is not
required. I do that as a matter of habit because it seems to avoid problems.
Every other script command is required: set atomPicking true;set picking
dragmolecule;set allowRotateSelected TRUE;bind "drag" "_rotateselected"

As an aside, I want to mention again that the performance of the JSmol model
kit on an iPad Air Safari is remarkable. I had pretty much given up hope on
this several months ago. Android Chrome isn't too shabby either.

Otis

--
Otis Rothenberger
o...@chemagic.com