Always hopeful that  Javascript performance might become “adequate” for even
intensive JSmol tasks (such as surface renderings), I benchmarked  Safari
using http://krakenbenchmark.mozilla.org/kraken-1.1/driver.html The value was
~3000 ms.  Reading
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/05/apple-integrates-llvm-compiler-to-boost-webkit-javascript-performance/
  I re-ran it using Webkt which is supposed to use compiler technology.  About
~2700 ms.

Chrome  (does 32 vs 64-bit impact upon  JavaScript?)   is ~1800 ms.

I wonder how much more can be squeezed out of Javascript?  Not an order of
magnitude?  Nor even a factor of say  4?   I estimate a factor of  ~20 is
needed to remove the frustrations associated with surface renderings in  JSmol?