From: Rolf Huehne [mailto:rhue...@fli-leibniz.de]
Sent: 21 January 2015 13:48
To: jmol-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Jmol-users] JSmol and Java issues... maybe

On 01/21/2015 02:29 PM, C Anthony Lewis wrote:
> All,
>
> Again, thanks to Otis for answering my previous question. I have another
> issue...
>
> I am attempting to create a simple exercise for our first year
> chemistry students to create a page that displays molecule with JSmol.
> I have created a pared down page from the test2 page and I give part
> of it below. I'm attempting to restrict the exercise to using only
> HTM5/JavaScript and not touching Java and I thought I had removed all
> reference to Java. The file works fine on my own computer (in Firefox
> and IE and now in Chrome with Otis' workaround) but when I attempt to
> open it on the computers available to students I get an 'Application
> Error' alert saying 'ClassNotFoundException' that appears to refer to
> JmolApplet.class. The JSmol window seems to do something as it's black
> whenthe page is loading but then shows a pale grey outline with a file
> icon and red exclamation mark in the top right hand corner of the
> JSmol window. I'm not entirely sure what differences there are between
> my computer and those available to students but it seems there is
> something significant. I am conf
sed as I thought I had stripped out any reference to Java so what have I done
wrong?

> As ever, many thanks for any pointers as to what's going on, and I appreciate
> this may be a bit of an open ended question with the unknowns regarding what
> applications are available.

Maybe the '<!DOCTYPE html>' inside the 'Info01' declaration prevents the
correct interpretation of the parameters (see quoted part below) on some
systems. Or is this just an artifact from emailing the source code?

>          var Info01 =
>          {
>       <!DOCTYPE html>
>              debug: false,                 // Disable/display information
> useful for debugging
>              use: "HTML5",                 // JAVA HTML5 WEBGL are all options
>              j2sPath: "./j2s",             // This must point to where the
> j2s directory is located
>              addSelectionOptions:   true,  // Display, below the Jmol object,
> a menu with options for loading structures from public databases
>              disableJ2SLoadMonitor: true,  // Disable/display messages in a
> single coloured line at bottom-left of the page while code loads
>              disableInitialConsole: true,  // Disable/display messages
> ('console') in the Jmol panel while the Jmol object is initially being built
>              allowJavaScript:       true,  // Enable/disable JavaScript
> scripts
>              width: 350,
>              height: 350,
>              color: "0xFFFFFF",
>              src: "molecules/caffeine.mol",
>              readyFunction: jmol_isReady,
>          }

Very often a different browser behaviour is caused by a different error
management.

Regards,
Rolf

--

Rolf Huehne
Postdoc

Leibniz Institute for Age Research - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI)
Beutenbergstrasse 11
07745 Jena, Germany

Phone:   +49 3641 65 6205
Fax:     +49 3641 65 6210
E-Mail:  rhue...@fli-leibniz.de
Website: http://www.fli-leibniz.de

           Scientific Director: Prof. Dr. K. Lenhard Rudolph
        Head of Administration: Dr. Daniele Barthel Chairman of Board of
Trustees: Dennys Klein

VAT No: DE 153 925 464
Register of Associations: No. 230296, Amtsgericht Jena Tax Number: 162/141/08228

This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the information contained
is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this
email in error please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your
system(s). Internet emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every
care, Plymouth University accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your
responsibility to scan emails and their attachments. Plymouth University does
not accept responsibility for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in
this email or its attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless
accompanied by an official order form.