I must be missing something in reading:

*I have now done quite a bit of experimentation with html5/canvas pages of
my own (documentation available on request, but a test page is viewable at
http://motif.gla.ac.uk/JSmolTest/canvasTextCheck.html
<http://motif.gla.ac.uk/JSmolTest/canvasTextCheck.html>*

*). If things are as straightforward as indicated then the following should
satisfy everyone: *
ctx.font = "12px Helvetica Neue, Arial, sans-serif";
and
ctx.font = "bold 12px Helvetica Neue, Arial, sans-serif";

Windows browsers ignore Helvetica Neue (the current Mac OS default)
and pick up Arial, the Windows default. If there is some way of
testing this on a JSmol canvas I should be interested in trying it or
seeing the result.

Wasn't that a request for Helvetica Neue?

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 3:36 PM, David Leader <david.lea...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Bob wrote:

> I have already released this as Helvetica Neue. OK?
>
> OK, but not necessary as MacOS X is already using Helvetica Neue as
> Sans-Serif.
>
> and

> http://www.identifont.com/find?similar=helvetica+neue&q=Go
> http://www.identifont.com/find?similar=Avenir&q=Go
>
> What do others think?
>
> Sorry, Bob, it's pointless comparing the ideal text rendering of these
> fonts in the links you give. If they were rendering this way on JSmol
> in OS X and iOS 8 then of course one would go with Apple's choice. The
> point is that for some reason *Helvetica Neue* is not rendering in
> this way. If people want to see this they should look at the summary
> of my comparisons (all under Mac Safari) which I have posted on:
>
> http://motif.gla.ac.uk/JSmolTest/JSmolTestCheck.html

This link has overlapping text and images that makes it pretty hard to work
with.
Something is too subtle there for me -- they all look fine. Except in the
cases
where you see text running over the text box, that's a bug in Safari
misreporting
text width.

> which shows the screen-shots from a live JSmol implimentation changing
> the fonts in the core.z.js file. (As I already wrote, these differ
> from the rendering in a simple canvas mock-up.)
>
> However, on reflection, it is probably better for you to leave things
> as they are for the following reasons:
>
> 1. The majority of users are probably on Windows, as the chemistry and
> protein chemistry area seeems to be the last scientific redoubt of
> Windows.
> 2. I can fix it myself for my own site. As I am the author of my own
> site I want it to look the best in the browser I use, as long as
> nobody else is disadvantaged.
>

> 3. As a matter of principle it's not a good idea to mess with the
> default fonts of a platform. Changing to Avenir would be a hack. The
> real solution would be to find why this is happening and fix that, but
> that's difficult for me and clearly not worth the effort tor you.
> Perhaps it will be fixed in a later release of MacOS X, or perhaps I
> will be able to track down the cause by posting on StackOverflow.

I don't like changing defaults, but I don't mind removing one, either.

> However...
> ...I have another question about JSmol since testing it on all sorts
> of platforms. On the iPad (and other tablet platforms) there is no
> such thing as hover or mouse-over. OK, one has to live with that for
> mouse-over an atom in the structure, but it breaks the JSmol menu. Any
> plans to address that?

[Not really a good idea to change the focus of a thread this way]

What has hover to do with the mouse menu? But the menu on smaller platforms
can be a problem because it is not in the style of the device, and it tends
to run over.
Clicking on the JSmol logo gets you the menu, but perhaps in a bad
location.

> David

Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry
Chair, Department of Chemistry

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900