I think you might want to consider the JSmol extension from Proteopedia for
MediaWiki, or some way to switch between Jmol and JSmol based on the client (I
don't recall whether Proteopedia does that). One reason I've switched EcoliWiki
to JSmol and developed the JSmol2wp Wordpress plugin is so that more users can
see the applets even if they are on mobile or don't know how to deal with the
Java security restrictions on other machines. If I was doing it for a user base
like a class, where I had more control over the machines being used, I might
prefer the Java based Jmol. But for a lot of web uses JSmol will reach a larger
base of users, IMO.

Jim

Jim Hu
Professor