Using the Jmol Java applet (desktop) I have noticed that when I load a pdb file (for example 1EHZ.pdb) using "load 1EHZ.pdb", some additional files are "fetched". For example (a partial list for 1EHZ):

   fetching http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/files/ligand/2MG.cif
   2N-METHYLGUANOSINE-5'-MONOPHOSPHATE
   fetching http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/files/ligand/H2U.cif
   5,6-DIHYDROURIDINE-5'-MONOPHOSPHATE
   fetching http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/files/ligand/M2G.cif
   N2-DIMETHYLGUANOSINE-5'-MONOPHOSPHATE

When I drag the same pdb file directly into the applet, no "fetching" takes place.

What is the role of the fetched files?
Where are the fetching instructions coming from?
What happens when the server of www.rcsb.org is not accessible?

Thanks,

PM