Nevermind. Figured it out (it always happens right after you submit the
question).

write "http://your.server/test.php/
<http://your.server/test.php?POST?_PNGJBIN_&msg=OK%22>output_file.xyz"

worked with the same php file described in the previous post:

<?php

  $file = "tmp/test.png";
  $msg = $_REQUEST[msg];
  $type = $_REQUEST["POST"];
  $image = $GLOBALS['HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA'];
  echo "msg=$msg;type=$type;len=".file_put_contents($file, $image);

?>