Dear Bob,

This request could be titled "another conundrum" or "a holiday puzzle
for Bob" or "how about another miracle, Bob?".

With the recent changes affecting rotation in Chrome, and despite your
miraculous save, Firefox now outperforms Chrome for JSmol/HTML5 in every
area, except one quite annoying issue.

For years, after loading a largeish model (e.g. 7ahl, 23K atoms, largest
5% of PDB entries) into JSmol in FirstGlance in Firefox, the first
operation to be performed (e.g. clicking the "spin off" button) freezes
JSmol for about one minute. This is only for a minority of models, but
it is quite annoying when it happens. It does not happen in Chrome (but
rotation in Chrome is still very jerky compared to Firefox).

It only happens once. After recovery, when the same operation is
repeated, it executes in about one second.

I have now narrowed down the culprit. A "labels off" command that occurs
in FirstGlance freezes Firefox and JSmol for 45 sec. If the molecule was
spinning, the spinning stops until JSmol recovers. During the freeze,
one gets the OS X "beachball", indicating that Firefox is frozen. In
Windows, you get the hourglass.

Well, its not quite that simple. In Firefox, at
http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/jsmol/jsmol.htm (using JSmol/HTML5), I
load 7ahl and spin it. I open the console, select all, and do "labels
off". The command is completed in about one second. So it is not just
the "labels off", but doing that in the state of JSmol in FirstGlance.

To reproduce the problem: In Firefox, go to
http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/jsmol/jsmol.htm. Drag and drop the
initial state of FirstGlance into JSmol
(bioinformatics.org/firstglance/download/fgij-initial-state.spt.zip).
7ahl should appear, spinning, in cartoon, colored by chain. (In Windows,
when you unzip the script file, it makes a folder. The actual .spt file
is inside that folder.)

Open the JSmol Console. Select all and enter "labels off". JSmol and
Firefox freeze for 45 sec (longer on a slower computer). This occurs in
both OS X and Windows 10.

So, Bob, what am I doing to JSmol that makes "labels off" take 45 sec?
Can it be fixed or worked around?

Thanks, Eric