Hi Phil,

Resolver is currently undergoing some changes. That said, when you query taxol,
you’re querying a name unrelated to structure. With Resolver, if you query a
SMILES, IUPAC, or InCHI (i.e. identifiers that carry structural information),
then Resolver uses CORINA to return 3D coordinates determined by the CORINA
algorithm.

On the other hand, if you query a non-structural name, then Resolver uses its
connections to other databases (PubChem and others) to look-up the 3D
structure. Sometimes the returned structure is 2D. I suspect that recent
changes at Resolver may have resulted in a change in the taxol look up.

Back in 2009, I contacted Markus Sitzmann at NIH regarding Resolver’s response
to the “trivial” hexose names. They were not flat, but the stereochemistry was
all over the place. I’ll leave you with his quote: “Otis, you’ve discovered
Resolver’s weak link - names.” Back then, Markus would correct reported
incorrect name look-ups at Resolver’s front door, but doing that would be a
full time job in itself.

Otis

--
Otis Rothenberger