Possibly useful find for Jmol users.

While working to optimize (formerly Java) PhET applets in Javascript using
SwingJS, I put a little ms timer in the tab so I could monitor performance.
What I noticed was that I could get that timer to read 50-60 ms per refresh
sometimes (very close to the 40-ms Java benchmark), but more like 100-120
other times.

I think I just figured out what it is.

It appears that this has to do with how Firefox uses multiple processors.
If you have just one tab open in Firefox (at least on my i5 Windows 10
laptop), it is likely that it will run on just one processor (and read
100-120 ms per refresh). But if you open up multiple tabs and then come
back to this tab, you can see a 2x speed enhancement, presumably because it
is now using two processors.

Maybe?

Try it at
https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/swingjs/phet/site/swingjs/examples/phet/

Doesn't seem to ba a problem with Chrome, which is in the low 40-ms range
for the GasProperites simulation.

Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900