Hi Richard

I have a lot of pages that have been evolving alongside Jmol changes.
I see no reason why "the Jmol applet-based stuff will not be convertible". Can
you explain?

I've converted all my Jmol applet pages to JSmol, and first I set them to use
Java by default, or based on identification of mobile browsers (Java
detection has never been reliable). When Chrome (and Opera) quit Java, I
added a filter.
Last thing I did --last month-- was to set default to Html5-JSmol, not becuase
Java does not work but because it is a pain to go through all warnings when
you are in a computer you do not control --e.g. in classrooms.

But I still keep an option (at the home page for each major section) for the
user to choose either Java or non-Java --and using a temporal or permanent
cookie. Since I have some fairly large molecules and complexes, using Java
when your system allows it is still an advantage.

>     The thing is, Google complains they are not mobile-friendly.

That may be related to other features of page design rather than just to use
of Java. If you already have JSmol it's easy to have it working with HTML5 or
Java at choice.

Hope this helps